Thursday, November 13, 2008

Word Becomes Song

It's amazing how much you don't know about something until you actually try it.

For about the last month, I've been writing songs. Up until that point I'd written one song. Which, I'd mostly forgotten and rewrote anyway.

At this point, I've written ten complete songs, with two more partially done. It's astonishing how far I've come in about 25 days. I listened to the one I wrote first and the difference is laughable.

I never realized I knew virtually nothing about what makes a song compelling to listen to. I still know pretty much nada, but I'm getting better at faking it. I'm writing stuff that's a lot more complicated and dynamic than when I started out. I'm improving and that's always a great feeling.

I'm still trying to find my voice as a singer, how I want to sound. So I'm writing a range of stuff, this week it's been more poppy stuff. It's really fun to actually listen to music with the intention of creating some later. What's good and what's bad about songs. I tried listening to a band the other night that I used to have a huge boner for, but I couldn't make it through a single song because generally every aspect was terrible and not something I wanted to recreate.

I haven't really been able to write much when I'm not particularly inspired, but I'm still writing something everyday. Whether it be poem or song or short story.

My poetry is definitely becoming more dynamic and my latest short story was one of my best ever I think. Exactly the style I wanted, loved it.

I'm reading a fair bit too most every day. Finished Dharma Bums by Kerouac over the weekend and I'll probably finish The Road by Cormac McCarthy tomorrow. Both of which are highly recommended.

All in all, I'm loving words right now. I'm loving reading them, working with them, singing them, being inspired by them, and finding great ways to make them mean something when there may have been nothing before.

No comments: