Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Drop Out.

On Monday, I talked about what I think is one of the most important things I've ever learned:

Life isn't about doing what you're supposed to. Life is about doing what makes YOU happy.

I think this is a profoundly important thing to remember and implement into your thinking. It's one of those things that is always sort of staring you in the face, but you don't really realize it. It seems obvious enough, but why wouldn't everyone live this way?

Because we're not supposed to.

So many people are caught up in being a part of the rat race that they don't realize what they're doing. They're told it's so important to get a degree and a steady job and a family and a mortgage and a retirement fund, that they forget what makes them tick.

I'm not saying it's impossible to be happy doing this. I know that this is a lot of people's ideals and I'm not bashing them for that. I personally can't wait to have a family and take care of them.

I'm not here to argue the end results, that is what it is. I'm here to argue the means of getting there.

There is not one best way to get what you want out of life. Well, there is, but it's different for everyone. Doing what makes you happy every step of the way, no matter what it may be.

It may be difficult at times, money might get tight, you might lose the support of some people, and chances are you'll doubt yourself at some point. Standing out from the crowd isn't easy.

And with everyone telling you you're doing it wrong, it definitely doesn't get easier. Very few people will think the same way as you. But no one can disagree with the results.

And they'll be jealous.

It'll start even before you succeed in your goals. It will start immediately and when it does they'll try harder than ever to put you down.

You can't listen to that.

I listened to it for way too long.

I knew before I graduated high school that I didn't want to go to college right away. I was so sure that I hadn't applied to any schools. I wasn't sure what I wanted, but I knew what I didn't. (Which is equally important in doing what makes you happy.)

But then January and February rolled along and all of my friends were talking about college. Where they'd been accepted, what they were going to do, all that good stuff.

It made me second guess myself. “What the hell am I doing? I'm SUPPOSED to go to college when I get out of high school.” I applied to a couple schools, and unfortunately I had been accepted to Auburn based only on my SAT scores.

This led to some of the least happy times in my life. I made myself believe I wanted to all these things I didn't. Sure they were things I that would have been nice. Getting a degree and then being a doctor. I guess I could have done that.

But it's not what makes me happy.

So, now, almost four years (when I would be finishing up that degree), several thousand dollars in tuition, and countless wasted opportunities later, I'm finally going with my gut.

I'm not in school and I'm taking steps to lead a life that will make me happy.

By no measure of standard is it what I'm supposed to do. It's still hard to talk about what I'm doing because I know it's not what I'm supposed to do. When I tell people, there's this sense of "What are you thinking?" that falls over them. Few people understand, support, and are excited about it.

But I can't worry about them. Because they don't know what's best for me. They might think they do, but they don't.

I've seen too many people who go through life unhappy because they're doing what they're supposed to. I won't be one of them.

Only I know what is best for me. And it isn't what I'm supposed to do.

I'm dropping out of the rat race. If you feel society isn't getting you off, I want you to drop out too.

Stop running blindly to that shitty cheese at the end and open your eyes to see that what you really want has been around you all the time.

You just have to quit doing what you're supposed to.

No comments: