Monday, October 20, 2008

Stop Running from the Truth




I'm finally realizing and accepting that this is who I am.

I picked up a book Saturday because I liked the cover, the back of a person's head with hot pink hair and massive headphones. It's called 'Hairstyles of the Damned.' But I bought it because of one of the quotes on the back cover:

"Judging by his latest novel, Meno is a romantic at heart. Not the greeting card kind, or the Harlequin paperback version, but the type who thinks, deep down, that things matter, that art can change lives.
-Elgin Courier News

I read that and understood that's who I want to be. More, that's who I am. I've just been afraid of accepting it and expressing it as a writer. Mostly because of a lot of the things listed in that image I found on reddit.

I've also fought writing because it's been a symptom of my depression. My really inspired stuff has always been done when I'm at my lowest. Just like the rest of my symptoms, I can't ignore it any longer. I have to do something about all of them and I'm going to choose to write.

Depressed or not.

I don't know what I'm going to write. I don't know who I'm going to write for. I just know I'm going to do it.


On second thought, I do know who I'm going to write for...

I'm going to write for me.

And anyone else can jump on if they want.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

C-
Poor character development and lacking backstory. No real narrative to speak of. Pointless meandering stream of thought and self-congratulatory conclusion.

Would not read again.

RSK said...

Welcome to the fold, I guess.

Since you're a writer now, I'll be interested to hear your view on my book when it comes out in a few weeks.