Thursday, October 30, 2008

On the Road



I first got the urge to make this trip when I read On the Road by Kerouac at the beginning of the year. Hitchhiking from place to place, walking when no one would drive, sleeping out in the open, and seeing what America had to offer.

When I started reading another book by Kerouac, The Dharma Bums, yesterday, that feeling immediately returned.

I want to see what makes this country so great. I want to confirm or deny this feeling I have that people everywhere are all the same, generally good but with our flaws. I long for squalor. To have nothing but my pack on my back.

It won't be the same as it could have been 50 years ago, hopping in rail cars and the like, but I still think it'd be awesome.

I'd want to mostly follow the same path Sal Paradise followed in on the road. From New York to San Fran to L.A. and on down to Mexico. Though maybe head north from Denver into Canada and head all the way down the west coast to Baja.

Just go and write the whole time. Take some notebooks, pens, my guitar, picks, and see what happens.

P.S.-Sorry for the late post, not the best day in the world.

No comments: